Company: Texas A&M University Commerce
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Academic Advisor II
Texas A&M University - Commerce
VP Student Access And Success
Proposed Minimum Salary
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process you have one opportunity to
upload documents as a combined PDF. The page My Experience has an
area provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload the file.
This one combined PDF must include:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information
(Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be
- Transcripts If required for the position (Unofficial will be
accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at
time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the
responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the
transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential
All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas
A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded
The Academic Advisor II, under the general supervision, recruits
and advises undergraduate students in competency-based educational
programs concerning their career goals and academic requirements;
provides information about and refers students to University
resources that can assist in meeting their needs or solve problems;
may supervise projects. This role will act as a guide for students
from their first semester of enrollment through graduation,
providing holistic and instructive advising so the student can
******** This grant position is funded temporarily through
December 2022. Continuance of this position will be based on
additional funding. ********
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides academic advice and guidance to students in
competency-based degree programs, course planning, registration,
acceleration, and provides input on probationary status decisions.
Assists students with add/drops, withdrawals, and leads efforts on
early intervention initiatives. Reviews academic records and test
scores on file for proper course recommendations.
- Consults and supports faculty to promote student course
- Responsible for case management of students to include weekly
communication via phone, text, and email, as well as office visits.
Responds to inquiries from students and potential student emails in
a timely manner.
- Is cross-trained in areas of financial aid, student accounts,
admissions, testing, and other academic support units so they are
able to refer enrolled and potential undergraduate students to
resources pertaining to college admissions, re-admission, remedial
education, student financial aid, student services, etc.
- Identifies contributing factors to student academic challenges
(i.e. personal/family issues, adjustments to college life,
technology issues, etc.), makes timely, and appropriate referrals
(i.e. Counseling Center, Financial Aid, Registrar, and/or Student
- Provides prospective students with University information
regarding college admissions, application and admissions processes,
available undergraduate programs, departmental and faculty contact
information, State and University program requirements, and other
available resources (i.e. health/wellness and academic
- Develops and maintains positive relationships within Academic
Deans, faculty/staff, and other departments within the Texas
A&M University System (TAMUS) involved in Academic Advising.
Provides exemplary customer service and professionalism to all
- Contributes to best practices manual on effective advising
practices for adult learners in competency-based educational
- Engages with orientation or outreach duties, consistent with
other Academic Advisors, or as assigned.
- Maintains records of student contacts. Prepares various
academic and advising reports.
- Serves as an advisory role in the development and revision of
curriculum and degree plans. Reviews and provides input on
- Education: Bachelors degree in applicable field or equivalent
combination of education and experience
- Experience/Knowledge/Skills: Two year of related experience in
advising and recruiting. Knowledge of student information systems,
degree planning, and degree audits
- Excellent written communication, analytical, interpersonal, and
- Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with
others. Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain
confidentiality. Ability to work beyond normal office hours and/or
work on weekends. Ability to travel.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Valid drivers
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift light objects
- Other Requirements: None
- Masters degree
- Knowledge of adult learners
- Knowledge of online education or competency-based
- Knowledge of Health Services or Occupational Safety and
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
- May supervise student workers and/or graduate assistants
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to
a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon
the institutions verification of credentials and/or other
information required by the institutions procedures, including the
completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability
Employer committed to diversity.
Keywords: Texas A&M University Commerce, Allen , Academic Advisor, Other , commerce, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!